Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pan Roasted Ribsteak from the Momofuku Cook Book

32oz dry aged ribsteak from Creekstone Farms
One of my favorite steaks is the dry aged ribsteak at Momofuku Ssam bar. I have had it on numerous occasions in the restaurant and so decided to try cooking one at home using the Momofuku cook book by David Chang and Peter Meehan. The recipe calls for, and strongly encourages, one to use dry aged beef, and with good reason. Dry aged beef is more tender, more flavorful, and juicier than the wet aged variety. Momofuku sources theirs, to very good effect, from Niman Ranch. But having worked with Pat LaFrieda on his Big App for Meat, I was lucky to procure from him what I believe to be an even more impressive steak - a wickedly aged and marbled USDA Prime 32oz ribsteak from Creekstone Farms. Not that I am the most impartial judge!
"Salt like you'd salt a sidewalk in New York in the winter"
The recipe is perfectly and humorously written, follow it to the letter and you are in for a real treat and a chuckle on the way. I am not going to recount it here (I have intentionally left a crucial step undocumented) - you should buy the book as it is superb work and will teach you far more than just how to cook a steak. Also note that some of the recipes that are knocking about the internet are not accurate.


I will give you this advice: get the best steak you can find and don't trim the fat! I was talking to my friend and fellow blogger the The Food Doc over cocktails at Booker and Dax the other night, and he mentioned that people find the steak at Ssam rather fatty. There is a good reason for this - the recipe calls for cooking a steak a little longer and at a slightly lower temperature than other methods and the fat protects the inner flesh allowing it be cooked edge to edge to the desired doneness. 
An all star cast.
Baste! Baste! Baste!
Be sure to let your steak rest before slicing.
Sliced and ready.

The steak came out great, if I don't say so myself,  although I should  really  give credit to David Chang and Peter Meehan for an inspired recipe and Pat LaFrieda for an inspired piece of meat. The technique differs markedly from the way I usually prepare a steak, and I cooked it way past my usual temperature preference of black and blue, but I loved the results none the less.

1 comment:

TheBeefMan said...

Hello from accross the water, just wanted to say great blog, some seriously good info. I run a company called The Traditional Beef Company in Salisbury, Englang. www.traditional-beef.co.uk. We dry age our Aberdeen Angus meat for 4-6 weeks but I am experimenting with longer ageing.