Saturday, May 5, 2007

National Burger Month Day 4 - Peter Luger



I am going to get right to the point on this one. I feel the Luger Burger is overrated. I have eaten at Peter Luger's more times than I can count but I usually go for the steak. The beef is the finest in the city. Beautifully marbled, the creme de la creme of USDA Prime beef, dry aged to perfection. Wonderful stuff. Unfortunately it is often over cooked. I eat my steaks black and blue and for some reason the Luger grill cannot char the outside while leaving the inside cool. I go back because in spite of this the beef is so good I would eat it raw. I have tried the burgers on several occasions, as an appetizer to a steak. I simply cannot walk into this place and just order a burger, not with a blog like this.

The Luger burger is large, probably 10oz, coarsely ground and grilled, served on a substantial seeded bun with a wedge of onion. While there is no denying that the beef flavor is excellent I personally find the grind too coarse although it is plenty juicy. The real problem with the burger is that it is never cooked with any care. A rare order will come out like a hockey puck and a medium order will come out raw. The picture below depicts two burgers that where ordered medium:



Personally I like my burgers rare but the one on the top was basically raw. It was sent back and the one on the bottom one was sent in its place. Still not medium but close. Of course at under $10 the burger is a deal but I am not sure it is worth traveling to Williamsburg, Brooklyn unless you live really close by.

Peter Luger Steakhouse
178 Broadway
Brooklyn, NY
718-387-7400


No comments: