Sunday, May 27, 2007

National Burger Month Day 27 - Burke in the Box

While I was somewhat apprehensive about a another celebrity chef take on the burger I was heartened to discover that David Burke was making sliders at his trendy fast food eatery in Bloomingdale's. It is no secret that some of the best burgers I have had are sliders and I am a definite convert to the church of little burgers. Unfortunately Burkes little grass fed patty's served on English muffin buns stray so far from the classic burger archetype that I find them disconcerting. And too expensive at almost $11 for three.

It is not that I found them distasteful, they are obviously built from the highest quality components it is just that they seem more like dumplings than burger. You can find out how they are made here. While I appreciate the efforts to truly meld the flavors of the sandwich, in a similar way to White Manna, ie the classic slider technique, the whole oven crisping thing makes the burger seems, frankly half baked.

Burke in the Box
@Bloomingdale’s
150 East 59th Street
New York, NY 10022
tel 212.705.3800

No comments: