Wednesday, May 23, 2007

National Burger Month Day 23 -Old Homestead


I will admit that I am prejudice against the Old Homestead Steakhouse, I have yet to enjoy a meal there despite numerous attempts. I want to like the place, I really do, especially because it is within walking distance from my house but I just find the beef to lack flavor. However, there has been some buzz as of late about the Homesteads "new" burger cafe that operates outside on 9th Ave. so I thought I would give it a shot.

The menu is quite spartan with different variations of burger all for $15. Sides go for an additional $6 making a burger and fries $21 before tax and tip. For that price the burger better be damn good



It isn't.

I ordered the basic burger, cooked rare, which comes served with lettuce, tomato and onion on a seeded type roll. For $15 you would think they could throw you a slice or two of cheese. The beef is, like all steakhouse burgers, great. Full of flavor, juicy and succulent. Although it was cooked mostly rare, about a quarter of the patty was cooked through. Unfortunately the bread was stale and the onion completely overpowering. To add insult to injury the whole contraption is so tall that it is hard to eat.

Too much money for not enough burger.

Old Homestead Steakhouse
56 Ninth Ave.
(bet. 14th & 15th St.)
Manhattan, NY

No comments: